Winter in Gastein
Six ski areas with over 200 piste kilometers
In winter, the valley is transformed into a white and broad-ranging winter sports destination that lives up to every expectation. The highest ski region in all of the Ski amadé alliance enthralls with wide pistes, challenging freeride routes and family-friendly runs. In total, the valley boasts six ski areas with over 200 piste kilometers.
Modern lifts carry guests of all Gastein communities from the center of town to over 1000 vertical meters of pure skiing enjoyment. Sportgastein promises a unique nature experience, where you are able to enjoy skiing against the backdrop of the National Park, while this area is also a natural-snow paradise for freeriders.
- 4 skiing areas (Skischaukel Dorfgastein-Grossarltal, Skischaukel Schlossalm-Angertal-Stubnerkogel, Graukogel and Sportgastein) in Gastein offer over 200 kilometers of pure skiing pleasure and slopes with more than 1,000 meters of altitude difference.
- 43 modern lifts take guests up to 2,700 meters above sea level in Salzburg's highest glacier-free ski area
- From the slopes directly into the two Gastein spas: Alpentherme in Bad Hofgastein and Felsentherme in Bad Gastein.
- 3 Gasti snow parks – family-friendly adventure playgrounds
- Freeride Eldorado, spring skiing with guaranteed snow and high alpine mountain panorama in Sportgastein, in the highest skiing area of Ski amadé
- 140 meter long suspension bridge at the Stubnerkogel in Bad Gastein
- Regional delicacies and international dishes at the Gastein ski huts
Culinary enjoyment isn’t neglected either, of course. Gastein Ski Toques brings a selection of seven different gourmet dishes to seven different ski huts, and does so for no more than € 20,- per dish. At Markt:Auflauf in January, small huts erected in the town center of Bad Hofgastein once again transform products from regional farmers into appetizers, main courses and desserts. Enjoy a delectable 4-course meal in Sportgastein – surrounded by the gleaming-white 3,000 m peaks of the National Park – an experience promised to you by a Full Moon Dinner.
Once the temperatures begin to rise again, the snowmelt reveals the imposing mountain world of the Hohe Tauern range as well as the highest “grass mountains” in Europe. Four modern lifts also carry summertime visitors to the top of our exciting local mountains, which boast Europe’s highest suspension footbridge, a number of via ferrata fixed-cable climbs and even a pine theme path. In total, the region boasts over 600 km of hiking paths, including the Gastein Trail, which gives hikers an opportunity to explore all of Gastein Valley. And indeed, there is a lot to explore – not only over 60 mountain huts and each of their culinary specialties, but also two spa resorts and all kinds of cultural variety in each of the three different towns.
Gastein is one of the top tourism destinations in Austria. Not only does it offer guests variety-packed winter sports experiences, but also top-quality major events. Spectacular highlights such as the hit music festival “Sound & Snow Gastein”, the “Snowboard World Cup” in January and the biennial freeride event “Red Bull Playstreets”. Artistic prowess also plays a big role in Gastein Valley: “Art on Snow” in February produces snow and ice sculptures of the finest, while “Snow Jazz” in March is guaranteed to get everybody “in the groove”.
More information about the region Gastein
Contact & location
Gasteinertal Tourismus GmbH
Gasteiner Bundesstraße 367
5630 Bad Hofgastein