Recipe for approx. 20 „Carnival donuts“
250 g milk (slightly warm)
1 whole egg
500 g of wheat flour
50 g sugar
1 pack dry yeast (40 g)
6 grams of salt
60 g soft butter
250 g finely sieved apricot jam (original, but strawberry jam, nougat or vanilla pudding is also possible)
For the baking:
1 liter of oil or clarified butter for baking
Icing sugar for sprinkling
Mix all the dough ingredients together until it’s a smooth dough. Cover the pot with a tea towel and let rest for about 30 minutes. Divide the dough into pieces of approx. 50 g and shape into small balls. Dust them with a little flour so that it doesn't get sticky 😊
Shape the balls and cover it again with the tea towel. Leave for approx. 10 minutes. Then press the balls flat (they should only be about 1cm high. It is best to use a cutting board) – Let rest for another 20 minutes.
While the dough is resting again, you prepar the following:
- Prepare the jam filling: Warm it up slightly and pour it into a skin-filling sack or piping nozzle. If you like, you can stir a dash of rum into the jam. (Better not if it’s for the children)
- Heat the oil or clarified butter in a pan up tp approx 150 ° C
The donuts baking precedure:
- Place the flat pieces of dough individually with the upper, floury side down in the hot fat or oil
- Bake them covered with the lid for approx. 3 minutes. (until they are golden yellow brownish)
- Then turn it over and bake for another 3 minutes, this time without the lid.
- It is best to dab the fat off the finished donuts with a kitchen towel.
- now fill the donuts with the jam. Simply prick the tip of the spout into the donut and press in the filling.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy 😊