Summer in Gastein
Gastein is located in the south of the Salzburger Land and offers guests living tradition and a lot of cultural diversity with its three villages Dorfgastein, Bad Hofgastein and Bad Gastein. From rustic alpine farming to modern art and cultural offerings to a rich history that can be felt in the extraordinary Belle Époque buildings.
When the temperatures rise again, the melting snow exposes the impressive mountain world of the Hohe Tauern as well as the highest grassy mountains in Europe. Four modern cable cars also take guests up to the adventure mountains in summer, which offer, among other things, the highest suspension bridge in Europe, via ferrata adventures and a Swiss pine theme trail. The region has a total of 600 kilometres of hiking trails, including the long-distance Gastein Trail, on which the entire Gastein Valley can be explored. And there is a lot to explore - not only more than 60 managed huts and their culinary delights, but also two thermal spas and a lot of cultural diversity in three different towns.
Winter in Gastein
Six ski areas with over 200 piste kilometers
In winter, the valley is transformed into a white and broad-ranging winter sports destination that lives up to every expectation. The highest ski region in all of the Ski amadé alliance enthralls with wide pistes, challenging freeride routes and family-friendly runs. In total, the valley boasts six ski areas with over 200 piste kilometers.
Modern lifts carry guests of all Gastein communities from the center of town to over 1000 vertical meters of pure skiing enjoyment. Sportgastein promises a unique nature experience, where you are able to enjoy skiing against the backdrop of the National Park, while this area is also a natural-snow paradise for freeriders.
- 4 skiing areas (Skischaukel Dorfgastein-Grossarltal, Skischaukel Schlossalm-Angertal-Stubnerkogel, Graukogel and Sportgastein) in Gastein offer over 200 kilometers of pure skiing pleasure and slopes with more than 1,000 meters of altitude difference.
- 43 modern lifts take guests up to 2,700 meters above sea level in Salzburg's highest glacier-free ski area
- From the slopes directly into the two Gastein spas: Alpentherme in Bad Hofgastein and Felsentherme in Bad Gastein.
- 3 Gasti snow parks – family-friendly adventure playgrounds
- Freeride Eldorado, spring skiing with guaranteed snow and high alpine mountain panorama in Sportgastein, in the highest skiing area of Ski amadé
- 140 meter long suspension bridge at the Stubnerkogel in Bad Gastein
- Regional delicacies and international dishes at the Gastein ski huts
Culinary enjoyment isn’t neglected either, of course. Gastein Ski Toques brings a selection of seven different gourmet dishes to seven different ski huts, and does so for no more than € 20,- per dish. At Markt:Auflauf in January, small huts erected in the town center of Bad Hofgastein once again transform products from regional farmers into appetizers, main courses and desserts. Enjoy a delectable 4-course meal in Sportgastein – surrounded by the gleaming-white 3,000 m peaks of the National Park – an experience promised to you by a Full Moon Dinner.
Gastein is considered one of the top tourism destinations in Austria and not only provides guests with varied winter sports experiences, but also with top-class major events.
Spectacular highlights such as the successful music festival "Sound & Snow Gastein", the "Snowboard World Cup" in January or the biennial freeride event "Red Bull Playstreets".
The enjoyment of art is also very important in the Gastein Valley: the finest snow and ice sculptures are presented at "Art on Snow" in February and groovy sounds are provided by "Snow Jazz" in March.
More information about the region Gastein
Contact & location
Gasteinertal Tourismus GmbH
Gasteiner Bundesstraße 367
5630 Bad Hofgastein